The Sidney Berg Scholarship may be presented annually by the Virginia Band and Orchestra Directors Association in memory of one of it' s founding members.
A cash award of $2,000 may be awarded annually to a graduating high school senior who will be attending a four-year college or university in the fall. The student must be entering this institution as an instrumental music education major. This cash award is renewable annually for three additional years, providing the student meets renewal standards.
This cash award will be sent directly to the college or university finance office by the Virginia Band and Orchestra Directors Association. $1,000 will be forwarded each semester.
Sidney Berg served a Manual Editor of the Virginia Band and Orchestra Directors Association from 1947 until his passing in 2000. He also served a term as president of the Virginia Band and Orchestra Directors Association and the Virginia Music Educators Association. Sidney was a graduate of the University of Michigan, and came to Norfolk in 1944 as band director and later orchestra director at Maury High School. The band, under his leadership, earned national recognition. In 1963, he became director of music education for the Norfolk Public School System. He established, over the next 23 years, a string and harp program and a series of All City Annual Concerts at Chrysler Hall. He also organized and conducted an All City Wind Ensemble, and was the founder and conductor of the Tidewater Winds Professional Concert Band for 15 years. Sidney was the founder and principal conductor of the Tidewater Youth Orchestra in 1972. And for 42 years he was the principal timpanist for the Norfolk (now Virginia) Symphony. Sidney enjoyed the support of the public and was honored to see the concert halls filled to capacity. It was his joy to touch people with music.
Please complete the following eligibility items below and mail to the committee chairperson in one packet
- Be a High School Senior committed to majoring in Instrumental Music Education at a four-year college or university.
- Provide three letters of recommendation. One must be from the student's current high school director, one from a school administrator or counselor, and one from an academic teacher or private instrumental teacher.
- Furnish a solo with accompaniment. Recording must be on a CD and playable on a CD player (audio file). Percussion solos do not need an accompaniment. Put your name along with the title of the work being performed and composer on the recording.
- Provide a one-paragraph statement indicating, "Why I wish to teach Instrumental Music"
- Provide a copy of his/her High School transcript including College Board and/or ACT scores.
- Has been a member of their high school Band or Orchestra program all four years of high school.
- The applicants' band or orchestra director must be a member of VBODA.
- Application must be postmarked by March 1st
- Begin you application process by clicking on the Application below and filling it out
- This scholarship is renewable for three consecutive years providing the following criteria are met.
- Be continuing to major in Instrumental Music Education.
- Achieve a minimum grade point average of 2.50 their freshman year and a 3.00 each following year.
- Provide a university or college transcript of instructional activities. This transcript must be received by VBODA on or before June 20th for the renewal check to be written.
Mail completed application and all related materials to:
Carl A. Bly, Chair
Berg Scholarship Committee
2294 Hunting Ridge Rd.
Winchester, VA 22603
Former Scholarship Recipients:
2002 Caroline McCool, (B) Riverheads HS, Staunton, VA
2003 Sarah Todenhoft, (B) Lake Braddock Secondary School, Burke, VA
2004 Allison Faulkenberry, (B) Great Bridge HS, Chesapeake, VA
2005 Bethany Morris, (O) Westfield HS, Chantilly, VA
2006 Beverly Stokes, (B) Robinson Secondary School, Fairfax, VA
2007 Zachary Saunders, (O) Chancellor HS, Fredericksburg, VA
2008 Clare Gellene, (B) Grafton HS, Yorktown, VA
2009 M. Rachel Myers, (O) W.T. Woodson HS, Fairfax, VA
2010 Jenny O’Shaughnessy, (B) Lancaster HS, Lancaster, VA
2011 Ainsley Kilgo, (B) Robinson Secondary, Fairfax, VA
2012 Christian Purdy (B) Colonial Forge HS, Stafford, VA
2013 Eric Black, (B) Park View Senior HS, South Hill, VA